Beet + Berry Power Smoothie
At Ubuntu Fitness looove beets. We're always devising recipes to put them into other things. We may have tried a beet ice cream once... just throwin' that out there. We're total fanatics about the vasodilating and ergogenic effects of dietary nitrate, and beets are a good source of 'em.
With a Greek yogurt base and a touch of sweetness from beet juice concentrate and almond butter, this makes an ideal pre-work out smoothie and provides 24g of protein. This recipe could easily be made as one serving for a breakfast protein shake.
This recipe uses beet juice concentrate which is NOT the same as just beet juice. Beet juice concentrate is a little thicker and sweeter, but one could easily use beet juice - I just wanted to cut down the volume of the smoothie.
If you're as interested in beets/nitrates as us, def hop over to Austin's research on whether cooking affects dietary nitrate content.
- Beet juice concentrate, 4oz
- Mixed frozen berries (I used a raspberry/blueberry/blackberry/strawberry blend), 1/2 cup
- Nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 cup
- Almond butter, 1 tbsp
- Optional: mint, chia seeds for garnish
Recipe makes two 10oz smoothies
- Combine all ingredients in a blender
- Blend on medium for 5-10 seconds
- Eat and enjoy!
- Note: for a thicker smoothie-bowl type beverage, add 1 tray of ice or about 12 ice cubes