Beet Baba Ganoush
Our favorite grocery store has a discount produce area that we LOVE - we're always trying to use "ugly" produce or foods that might expire soon to cut down on food waste. This week, eggplants were on sale so we decided to make something out of it!
This is actually more of a baba ganoush/hummus blend, because sprouted chickpeas were on sale too, but this recipe could easily be made by substituting the chickpeas with an additional eggplant.
In any case, we've never made baba ganoush before so... MEAL PREP CHALLENGE!
- 1 eggplant
- Chickpeas, 12oz sprouted or 14oz can
- Tahini, 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice, 2 TBSP
- Beet juice concentrate, 2.5 oz
- Garlic, minced or crushed, 4 cloves
- Salt, 1.5 tsp
- Optional: cajun seasoning
Recipe makes 5.5 cups
- Steam eggplant until soft (~8-10 mins). We also steamed the sprouted chickpeas - they were a little hard :)
- When cool, add 1/2 of eggplant and chickpeas to blender. Add tahini, lemon, beet juice concentrate, garlic, salt. This step is just so the spices are dispersed when blended instead of staying on top. We added cajun for fun!
- Add remainder of eggplant and chickpeas and blend until smooth.
Nutrition Info (for 1 cup): 208 calories, 7g fat, 8.5g carb, 8.3g protein, 8.3g fiber, 670mg sodium, 385mg potassium.