Vegan Pepperjack Cheese
Most store-bought vegan cheeses use some form of starch as the base and oil for fat. This recipe uses real almonds and tahini for a bump of protein.
While not the actual thing, this pepperjack cheese recipe comes close. Salty, savory and dairy-free, this is my favorite cheese substitute. Shred it on top of pizza or slice and pair with rice cakes and avocado as a snack!
- 1 cup raw almonds (I use with almonds with the skins)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup agar powder
- Optional: any ingredients you want to try! We've made cheese with figs, jalapeno, sundried tomato and onion, bell pepper, apple
- Put almonds in a saucepan. Add 2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil and let boil for 3-4 minutes (this step makes removing the skins much easier).
- When done, strain saucepan contents and run almonds under cold water for ~10 seconds. This step cools the almonds so your fingers don't burn!
- Remove skin from almonds and add to blender with almond milk, lemon juice, tahini, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic and onion.
- Blend on low for ~1 min. Contents should be thick and creamy.
- Combine 2 cups of water with agar powder and on medium heat, bring to a boil. Stir regularly to prevent agar sticking to bottom of pan.
- Turn off heat source immediately and add blended ingredients. Mix well for 45 seconds.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape contents into a glass baking dish (I use a 5.25 x 9in bread pan) and let sit in fridge to set.
Makes 38.5 oz. For 1 oz: 40 calories, 2.1g carb, 3g fat, 2g protein, 75mg sodium, 80mg potassium, 1g fiber
Adapted from baked-in.com.