I'm always finding ways to put vegetables into meals. Who says dessert is off limits?
Here's a recipe for brownies but with BEETS. Beets contain a compound called nitrate, which has been linked to improving athletic performance. Nitrates act on the blood vessels to dilate, allowing for greater blood flow. With zero grams of added sugar, this high protein brownie bar would make an ideal pre-workout snack.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 3 cups steamed beets
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups of protein powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup erythritol
- 2 eggs
Makes 15 brownie bars
For 1 bar: 200 calories, 55g fat, 15g protein, 8g fat
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Blend beets and water until smooth
- Add wet to dry ingredients, stirring together.
- Add puree to a 9x5 nonstick baking dish
- Bake at 400F for 25-30 mins.